Sound Synthesis and Spatialization in Python. Preview book in progress here.
Interfacing Gestural Data from Instrumentalists
This paper presents preliminary work on a system for capturing gestures from music instrumentalists. A saxophone player performed an étude from standard repertoire in two different manners: firstly, constraining their physical gestures to pro- duce sound and execute the written music; secondly, to exaggerate the gestures to include expressions of emotions. The author used a “non-invasive” way to capture the performance gesture using wearable IMU devices with sensor fusion. Using open source 3D creation software, the author extracted motion paths from the data generated by the performer. A 3D Kernel Density Estimation (KDE) algorithm was implemented to create a visualization of density of the trajectories of the head, left elbow and left hand. Analyzing the gestural space of a work of music to develop composition strategies when interfacing the machine and the performer in real time electroacoustic music is highlighted.
Article in Art Music Review
Compositional Strategies in Spectral Spatialization
PhD Dissertation (Contact me for a PDF copy)
Courses I taught
University of California Irvine
- COSMOS UC Irvine. California State Summer School for Mathematics and Science..
- [2019-2021] Spatial Sound: An Exploration of 3D Sound with Applications in Virtual Reality
- [2017-2018] Sound for Virtual Reality: An Exploration of 3D Sound and Movement Using Mobile Devices and Wearable Sensors.
-  Sound for iOS with an Exploration of Immersive 3D Sound Scenes.
-  Sound for iOS. Physical Modeling and Programming.
-  Sound for Mobile Devices.
-  Mobile Digital Media.
-  Mobile Digital Media.
University of California Riverside
- MUS 009. Introduction to Digital Music Teaches basic theory and
practical skills for understanding digital audio, recording,
editing, and processing sound. Students work with audio and MIDI
sequencers with the goal of writing musical compositions with
computer notation programs.
California State University Northridge
- MUS 316. Musical Analysis. Analytic techniques for the study of balance in the organization of musical material.
- MUS 391. Midi Sequencing Techniques and Lab An in-depth, hands-on study of MIDI sequencing and its application in the studio and in live performance.
- MUS 421. Advanced Composition. Advanced studies in art music composition in a seminar/masterclass format.
- MUS 630. Composition in the larger forms, in contemporary style.
- MUS 418. Electronic and Computer Music Composition The history,
theory and practice of electronic and computer music composition and
performance. The principles and procedures of composition in various
electronic media are explored through compositional exercises,
reading, listening and discussion. Special attention is paid to live
and interdisciplinary works and performances.